Town of Kirkwood Finance Department
70 Crescent Drive
Kirkwood, NY 13795
Hours of Operation:
Tuesday – Thursday
8:00 AM – 2:00 PM
James R. Smith
The Town of Kirkwood Finance Department is located at the Town Hall. The finance department employees handle all day-to-day operations, including cash transfers, cash receipts, banking, monthly bill paying, bi-weekly payroll and preparation of monthly financial statements.
The Finance Department encompasses the following areas of responsibility:
- Investment of funds and recommendation of products that yield the greatest financial return while maintaining safety. Funds are invested in conjunction with the Town investment policy.
- Implementation of an internal control system to ensure the safeguarding of Town assets.
- Maintenance of fixed asset records in accordance with the established policy.
- Assists the Town Supervisor in preparing and controlling the Town's budget by coordinating submissions, compiling data, providing information to Town department heads, figuring tax rates and handling budget transfers.
- Coordination of serial bond issues and related instruments.
- Compilation and maintenance of the Town Policy Manual.
- Interpretation and implementation of New York State Audit and Control accounting releases as well as the standards set forth by the Governmental Accounting Standards Board.
- Preparation of monthly and quarterly internal financial statements.
- Preparation of the annual report for the State Comptroller's Office. Also assists our independent auditors in preparing the comprehensive annual financial statement.